This post was written by Karra Barron from QuickMobile
There are more than 1.8 million meetings and events in the U.S. and 5 million worldwide, but the average attendee will only go to 4-6 events per year. If you want to up your odds that YOUR event is one of the six they attend, then you need to ensure you’re designing the an attendee journey that will get them excited and keep them that way from initial registration to final departure and beyond.
A mobile event app is an always-on, highly targeted channel that puts your message right in the hands of your attendees, making it the perfect companion on your attendees’ journey with you.
The ideal time to release your event app is 4-3 weeks prior to your event. Once the app is installed, you can engage attendees before they even start packing their bags. Use this time before your event to share information, incentives and calls-to-action that invite participation and engagement, while encouraging users to share your content via social media and network within the community.
Lets take a look at different ways you can use a mobile app to improve your attendees’ experience before your event:
To Create Connections
- Encourage registered attendees to start networking with each other using the app’s messaging and “likeminded” matching features.
- For hosted buyer events: launch the appointment booking system within the app to allow buyers to schedule meetings with exhibitors.
- Have sponsors? As you secure them for your event, add their logo to the app’s sponsor section and activate any advertising such as the welcome splash page and banner ads.
- Send a push notification inviting attendees to fully engage in the event program and use the in-app schedule to add sessions to their app agenda (Bonus: this will help you plan better because you can see if more seats are needed or rooms need to be changed).
- Add FAQs to provide users with the information they will need to ensure they have the best event experience possible (i.e. what to pack, what to expect on-site, where to check in, what to wear, etc.)
- Use mobile polling to ask attendees what they’re most excited for at your event and use that information to ensure those details meet their expectations – or exceed it!
- Speakers can also use polling to crowdsource intel from attendees that can be used to make their presentations more informative and personalized.
- Launch sponsor-driven in-app contests to encourage users to click on banners and engage with sponsors prior to and during the event.
- Upload presentation abstracts or collateral from speakers into the documents section so users can get a sense of what education is being offered this year.
- Promote Twitter chats or in-app discussions on topics related to the upcoming event. Invite people to submit questions and ideas with the hashtags and generate pre-event buzz.
How have you used mobile technology before your event to create excitement and buzz? Let us know on Twitter. Stay tuned for our next posts in this series that will show you more ways to use your app to improve the attendee journey onsite and post-event.
Karra is QuickMobile’s Manager of Content and Internal Communications. Whether it’s a blog post or a tweet, she loves telling a story that teaches event professionals new things about event apps and technology. A voracious eater and avid runner, you’ll likely find her running half marathons just to make room for her next meal.
Written by: Guest Author