Have you had this conversation with yourself before?
The morning passes before you decide you’ll have to dig into this later tonight from the hotel room… when you would really rather collapse. Maybe you miss a key evening meeting, dinner or event. Maybe you remain the Master of the Universe and do it all; in any case, you will be worse for wear come sunrise. To use the famous line from infomercials, “There’s got to be a better way!”
And there is!
Below are some pro tips on managing your events’ budgets, keeping you highly coordinated with your venues and, perhaps most importantly, protecting the relationship between you and the venue by avoiding the animosity inherent with quibbling over expenses.
1. Set up a communication plan for onsite changes ahead of time. Make it clear who is involved in this plan and a summary or example of what goes in the plan.
2. Make sure your team members and the venue understand how the communication plan will work. This will keep you from paying for costly last minute changes that were not authorized and will keep everyone friends when the bill comes due.
3. Leverage the cloud; data on laptops is frequently lost which makes collaboration difficult and potentially exposes you to security risks. Use an online platform like Google docs or DropBox to share common files. There is nothing worse then opening up an office file and finding out its not compatible!
4. Go to the platform! Give visibility to all changes and your event by using etouches’ event management pro modules including:
- eProject – Project planning inside your event.
- eScheduler – Make easy work of building your next Event Specification Guide.
- eBudget – Understand what you spend on your events every year.
- eWiki – Share documents and edits to your event sites and documentation.
With those tools changes can be viewed in real time and shared with your team and your venue.
No one wants to miss out on new networking or business opportunities at events because you had to sit in your room and reevaluate your budget. Utilize some or all of the tips above to ensure that you remain the Master of the Universe when it comes to your event!
What other tips do you have to stay on top of your event expenses?
Have you had your WOW moment today? Come and take a look at etouches and find out why more planners say WOW once they see how easy it is to plan a meeting in one comprehensive tool.
Written by: Tonia Roberts